Here are the latest technical updates at Wikia. Keep in mind that our system updates happen every Wednesday, so we’re posting this on a Tuesday to give you advance notice. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
- It's finally here! The redesigned editor will go live to all wikis as a permanent feature. Please leave comments and feedback directly on the blog post.
Major Bugs Fixed
- Special:Contributions would show the profile header of the user looking at the page, not of the user actually making the contributions on any page that required a URL (ex. http://community.wikia.com/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=100&target=DaNASCAT).
- We fixed a bug with the rating system in Wikia Labs. You can now rate features properly.
- For blog summaries, article summary pages did not render <br /> (line break) tags.
Other Notable Changes
- Wikia has a new process in place for getting your database dumps faster. Previously, when you requested a new dump on Special:Statistics, one of our techies would get an email and have to manually start a batch process. Now we have a system where your email automatically triggers a database dump request. The result? Dumps are now done within the first twenty-four hours of your request, instead of once or twice a week.
- A reminder: We've made a change to how emails for followed pages work for Community Central. Previously, if you didn't visit the followed page after getting an email, you never got another for that page. Now if you don't visit the page you will still get notified of future edits (with a maximum of one mail per 24 hours). The behavior if you visit the page won't change.
Select Known Issues
- Some recent wiki founders are not receiving the Creator achievement badge on their wiki.
- Last week, we pushed a fix to make sure the floating toolbar at the bottom of the screen did not overlap the status bar on Chrome and Firefox. Unfortunately, this patch opened up some other issues, so we rolled it back and will try another way soon to fix this issue with the toolbar.
- Long blog titles are breaking the Blog listing sidebar in Chrome.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.