Here are the latest technical updates at Wikia. Keep in mind that our system updates happen every Wednesday, so we’re posting this on a Tuesday to give you advance notice. Also note that we change hundreds of tiny details every week, so these are just the highlights.
Major Bugs FixedEdit
- Vimeo videos can once again be uploaded using the Video Embed Tool. An API change on Vimeo's end had prevented our uploader from properly grabbing the necessary data.
- Patrolled edits preferences seemed out of place in their previous placement under our new Special:Preferences system, so they will now have their own section in the "Under the Hood" tab.
- Special:BookSources was highly outdated with 404 errors and malformed links being constructed by clicking on some of the links. We've refreshed the appropriate links and code to make this page useful again.
Other Notable ChangesEdit
- We've stabilized the footer ad spot on Mobile so it stays put at the bottom of the screen (it's been jumping around a bit when you scroll), and we're adding a "Close" button to it so you can clear it from your view.
- We're updating the default style for new tables created from Visual Mode for a more attractive look and feel. This will not affect any existing tables, and it will not impact editors who work in source mode. These new defaults (class="WikiaTable") can be easily changed in source mode or overridden with custom CSS.
Select Known IssuesEdit
- Search continues to operate slowly on a number of wikis. Our engineering team has been hard at work on long-term solutions to fix this issue.
- Thumbnail generation has also been a bit buggy of late on fresh images. We are aware of the issues behind this and are working on a solid patch.
Questions? Comments? Feel free to leave them below. And if you have additional bugs to report, please send them to us via Special:Contact.
Want to be notified about technical updates when they are posted? Then click here to follow this blog.