Community Central

Introducing the 2016 Ramadan challenge

Today, June 6th, 2016 (Ramadan 1st, 1437), marks the beginning of the Holy month of Ramadan.

All around the world over 1.6 billion people begin their 30 days of fasting where they will abstain from both food and drink from sunrise to sunset. It is during this fasting that Muslims believe they obtain a greater understanding of those who go without so often. It is also when they believe that they achieve a heightened state of morality. But this Holy month of Ramadan is not simply about fasting and prayer but also about giving back to the communities in which they live and work.

It is this last value that I wish to instill in Wikians during this month. During this month (June 6th - July 5th) I ask of all Wikians to give back to the communities they are apart of or to a community they have not yet visited.

During this month I ask of Wikians to make just 5 extra edits to their favorite communities per day for the next 30 days. While it may not seem like that big of a deal just 5 extra edits per day for 30 days amounts to 150 edits per person. This is more than enough to help your wikis accomplish projects they may have been putting off and it is more than enough to help grow a small community.

I also ask that Wikians do their best to visit at least 1 new wiki per day. This may seem challenging at first but it is actually no more than a click of the random wiki button that you can find at the bottom of each and every page.

To make things better you could use one or two of your daily edits on the wiki you visit. In doing so you will help grow communities and provide a better reading and editing experience for all of the visitors to your communities.

Administrate a community? During this month try putting out a work list that Wikians can visit. This list should contain tasks that need to be done but at the same time aren't overly complex. A few things you could add include: categorizing images, correcting articles, removing red links, reporting bad comments, and fixing some pages that may have been vandalized.

And finally, have a great Ramadan and do some good this month!

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki