Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
As you know the default namespaces selected for the Special:Search page can be customized at your personal Preferences#Search tab and then manually changed via the Advanced search area once you are at any Special:Search page.
The drawback is that the manual changing this selection involves individually clicking potentially dozens of check boxes.
- At one wiki I see only 20 check boxes due to that wiki having the Blog feature disabled. (Main, User, Project, File, MediaWiki, Template, Help, Category, Forum, Video) I suspect this might be the fewest possible namespaces.
- Here at central.wikia.com I see 26 check boxes due to the custom namespace "Hub" and then "User blog" and "Blog".
- At a Semantic MediaWiki enabled community I see 36 check boxes - due to that wiki also having just one custom namespace plus the five SMW related namespaces (Property, Type, Form, Concept and Filter).
Up to 3 custom name spaces are possible. Therefore a wiki may have as many as 40 check boxes within this Advanced search array of namespace selectors.
I suggest that
- Preferences#Search have 3 columns of check boxes. Each column being for a preset selection of namespaces that the user might want.
- At Special:Search four buttons be added:
- Select all namespaces but not their companion talk namespaces (i.e Select all the evens but not the odds)
- Deselect all namespaces but not their companion talk namespaces (i.e Deselect all the evens but not the odds)
- Select all talk namespaces but not their companion namespaces (i.e Select all the odds but not the evens)
- Deselect all talk namespaces but not their companion namespaces (i.e Deselect all the odds but not the evens)
What do you think?