Community Central
Community Central

When you first start delving into the world of anime figures, you may become overwhelmed by the sheer amount of volume available on the market. They come in various shapes and sizes with different features and functionality, so where does one start?

Well, there are 3 main types of figures to choose from, which are Nendoroids, Figmas and Scale Figures. My recommendation is to start off with Nendoroids. In this post i’ll be covering the most imporatant aspects of Nendoroids and why they are so great for beginners. Let’s get started!

Adorable and cool at the same time

Nendroids are designed in a chibi or super deformed style, with a large head and smaller body to give them a cute appearance. They are approximately 10 cm in height and include a stand for displaying the figure.

They are manufactured by The Good Smile Company, which is one of the biggest names in this industry. On their website you can find a full catalog of all previously released Nendoroids as well as the latest info on feature releases.

Changeable faces allow you to recreate your favorite moments

All Nendoroids come with extra accessories such as arms and legs allowing for different poses, and if that’s not enough, they usually also have different faces with unique expressions. Some of these faces are interchangeable between different Nendroids, which allows for allot of unique combinations.

As you can see, these are filled with personality and have a high level of cuteness, but not to the point that it’s over-exaggerated. There a good balance between cute and cool!

Even-non anime characters have Nendoroids!

New Nendoroids are always announced ahead of time, sometimes more than a year in advance, which gives fans plenty of time to pre-order. As with most figures, Nendroids also have a limited availability which makes pre-ordering them very important.

You can pre-order them from The Good Smile Company website, which will occasionally offer exclusive content such as bonus accessories or parts. I personally order mine from Play-Asia and CDJapan. Play-asia has good pricing and I love their feature that notifies you when a sold-out item has been restocked.

Final Thoughts

Nendoroids are perfect for beginners for a number of reasons. One of them being the vast amount of Nendoroids that have already been released. Chances are, one or more of your favorite characters have already been released in Nendoroid form. This makes the choosing process a bit easier.

Another reason is that Nendoroids, even those from different series, usually look good together. This is because of their distinctive look, allowing you to easily make a small, but beautiful collection figures.

And Finally, there’s the price point. The official pricing ranges from ¥3000 to ¥5000 which is between $27 to $45. These won’t break your bank account, making them perfect for a first time purchase. They also make for a great gift to a friend as their overall theme is very lighthearted.