So you have unfortunately witnessed how bad chat could get without a chat moderator being present? Probably thinking "oh no, uh how can I deal with it?". Well there are a few things you can try while waiting on a chat moderator to join chat...
A few things to always keep in mind whether you are in Community Central's chat room, another wiki's chat room on Wikia's network, IRC [internet relay channel] or other chat room:
- Ignore the troll, spammer or user flooding chat. Do not engage with them.
- Remain calm - Don't lose your temper or let your emotions show. All they want to see is your reaction so they get a chuckle and gain the encouragement to continue.
- Do not provoke them or re-provoke them if somebody else in chat has managed to calm them, only making situation worse and also disrespecting whoever manage to calm them down in the first place.
- Don't give the disruptive users any useful information about when mods are around or how any bots function
- Alert chat moderators upon them joining or leave them a message on their wall
- Block PMs to users annoying or insulting you, there is no way for mods or staff to view these. Screenshots are never accepted at least for Community Central. Ignore and move on.
The following is the Moderation team for Community Central, try and get to know them:
- Bots: CCChatbot
You should get to know your wiki's local staff team and when they are around. No point to pinging mods if they are clearly asleep, though sometimes people leave chat open (?) when they go to sleep and thus their status indicates as "away". That does get confusing unfortunately so if you don't get a response within 10 minutes then assume they are not around.
In general, there are 6 different types of disruptive users
- flat out spammer -> alert or report to mods & ignore
- flooding chat -> let bot handle it
- user is swearing and insulting others -> alert or report to mods & ignore
- disagreements with other users -> possible to calm down
- trolls -> most of the time just alert or report to mods & ignore
- annoying -> try alerting or report to mods & ignore
If you want to make an effective report to CC mods, give the following information:
- Time range of occurrence - timestamps
- Usernames: all disruptive users in question
Always let mods deal with situations but since we are assuming that none are around, give the following a shot:
Want to calm down a user disagreement?
- get one side to stop engaging and to start ignoring, block PMs
- discourage provoking either side by anyone in chat, see above
- somehow calm down the "frustrated" side and get them to leave chat [sometimes doesn't last very long]
Scare a troll into leaving?
- you can ask them nicely to leave - not very effective
- threaten to alert or report them to mods - not very effective
- try to get slightly off topic to force a quick topic change, hopefully distracts enough that they won't be able to continue
Scripts to consider installing
importScriptPage('ChatOptions/code.js', 'dev'); importScriptPage('User:Monchoman45/ChatHacks.js', 'c'); importScriptPage('MessageBlocker/code.js', 'dev'); importScriptPage('MediaWiki:LightBlock/code.js', 'shining-armor');