Community Central
Community Central

This is version 2.0 of my Lights Out game, coded purely in wikicode (without having to add any Javascript or CSS and without being able to use full HTML). Lights Out is a classical puzzle game. If you click on one field, it will toggle it and all four neighbours from red to green and vice versa. The goal is to make all fields green.

You can play around and try to generate interesting patterns or you can click on the button below to generate a random pattern to solve. The solution generator helps you to find back to the default state from self created patterns, but it is deactivated after applying a random pattern.

Why did I make this game?

The game was a spontan idea that I got while working with custom collapsibles. I did it to challenge myself and to show how much can be done even with a simple markup language that is totally not meant for that. I like the challenge to use tools beyond their meant function.

⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 

Click here to see the solution.
Click here to hide the solution.
To solve the game, click on all fields marked red in the solution.
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ ⬛ 
Congratulations, you solved the game!
Click here to apply a random pattern
(You can't use the solution after generating a random pattern)

Some interesting facts:
* The whole wikicode for the game is over 32,000 characters long.
* I did not write all of it myself. The code was generated using a ruby script.
* I'm not good in this game myself. I made a magic table that helps me to find a quick (though not optimal) solution for EVERY random pattern on one glance.
* There are 68,719,476,735 different possible patterns the generator can generate, although many of them are the same pattern rotated or mirrores. With these duplicates patterns removes there are probably still over 100 millions of different patterns.
* There is a chance that the generator makes all fields green, directly solving the game. This chance is smaller than winning a jackpot in the lottery.
* For those who know about mw-collapsible: This game uses over 100 custom collapsible classes.