Ok so your new. So am I. What's the first thing thing we should do?
Get out of our chairs, jump around the room and hop on the bed screaming I got Wikia, I'm in I'm in! Yayayayayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!! :)
lol, Now that the celebration is over, let's see what we really need to know for starters. What do I need to know. Well, I'd like to know the basics. The early times should be about learning and exploring. Or is it the other way around? Well, here's what I've learned and the things YOU should know when starting out on Wikia:
- Know how to sign your name the easy way at the end of your posts by typing 4 tilde symbols (~). It's quick, simple and sort of wiki etiquette.
- Learn your page layout. Shouldn't be too difficult, but get acquainted with where everything is on your personal page.
- Check your preferances by hovering/clicking the down arrow next to your username on the top right corner of the screen and selecting My Preferances.
- Usernames are case sensitive. Sometimes the name you want is taken. The next best thing is to create an alias. You can set an aka Alias by going to your main page, selecting EDIT and adding a name to the Name box. Your name will appear like: Some One aka Someone. Sometimes you can make a mistake on your name. On Wikia, you're able to change your username one time only. For more information, see: Changing your username
- If you want to know how something's done, scout around. See how others do it by visiting other pages/sites and exploring.
- Stop by the Community Central area of wikia. There you can access helpful guides for starters by heading to the Guides for Getting Started tab.
- If you need to know something specific, there is a live help chat on the Community Central page that is staffed almost 24/7 by volunteers. They were helpful to me getting started and I'm sure they'll be glad to help you any way they can. Just please don't advertise there.
- If you're still in a bit of a jam, contact me via my message page and I'll be happy to assist you any way I can. The Editing Wiki page on XeanWiki (that's me!) is filled with helpful links for wiki editors and developers to learn, create, modify content and more.
Now that we've got that settled, let the party begin! Light up the candles, break out the champagne...
'Cause tonight, we gonna light it up. Burn the night!
We're gonna party like the fourth of July.
Go around the world and back, that's we do
Because Wikia's here for me and you!