Community Central
Community Central

Hi all.

As you can see, I am Xermano, a Wikian who enjoys keeping vandalism off wikis. Along with being a Wikian, I am also a Wikimedian who fights vandalism across Wikimedia projects. I am here today to share my vandalism fighting skills with you.

I started this blog series because I think that vandalism is no joke and take it very seriously. In this series, I will show you how to classify vandalism, how to report it, how to remove it, etc. Every now and then, I will ask a question in my blogs. The answers will be revealed in the blog the following week.

I've done enough talking already. Let's get to the fun stuff.

Introduction to vandalism[]

The most important thing about anti-Vandal work is figuring out what edits good faith edit and which are vandalism. good faith edits are done with the intent to help however aren't helpful. Vandalism are edits that are done just to destroy articles, editors, etc.

More on Good Faith Edits[]

Agf

Assume Good Faith (AGF)

Assuming good faith is a fundamental principle on [en.wikipedia.org Wikipedia], though you (should) can still assume good faith on Wikia. Assuming good faith is the assumption that editors' edits and comments are made in good faith. Most editors on projects like Wikipedia and Wikia want to help the project not hurt it. When assuming good faith remember to stay civil, calm, and keep your cool. While assuming good faith is not absolutely required, it helps the community run a lot smoother.

More on Vandalism Edits[]

Vandalism

Like vandalism on the street, vandalizing wikis are against the rules!

Vandalism is any addition, removal, or change of content, in a deliberate attempt to compromise the integrity of Wikia. Vandalism is prohibited on Wikia and should be reverted or reported right away. (We will talk about reverting, undoing and reporting in my next blog.)

What is Not Vandalism?[]

Even if misguided, willfully against consensus, or disruptive, any good-faith effort to improve the encyclopedia is not vandalism. Edit warring over content is not vandalism. Careful consideration may be required to differentiate between edits that are beneficial, detrimental but well-intentioned, and vandalizing. Mislabelling good-faith edits as vandalism can be considered harmful.

Quiz time![]

• 1. What is a good faith edit?
  • 2. What is vandalism?
  • 3. How can you tell the difference between vandalism and good faith edits?

BONUS QUESTIONS

• 1. Example of vandalism?
  • 2. Example of good faith edit?